Under the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), anyone applying for planning permission for a retail development must carry out certain due diligence work. This includes applying a sequential approach to site selection (the sequential test) and considering the potential impact on town centres (the impact test).
We can help by preparing a retail assessment to accompany your planning application. The scope and level of detail required will vary depending on the scale of the proposed development and its location. We’ll tailor your retail assessment to suit the needs of your individual proposal and the requirements of the relevant local authority.
The work involved may include some or all of the following tasks:
- defining the catchment area of the proposed development
- sequential assessment of alternative sites
- town centre health checks
- calculating the floor space and potential turnover of the proposed scheme
- producing retail impact spreadsheets and analyses
- estimating economic benefits, including the number of new jobs that would be created